Tigus

Tigus

The Best of Modern Humour
Mordecai Richler
Progress: 230/543 pages
The Big Book of Jack the Ripper (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard Original)
Otto Penzler
Progress: 499/848 pages
The Count of Monte Cristo
Alexandre Dumas, Lorenzo Carcaterra
Progress: 148/1462 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 108 out of 203 pages.

The Reaper - Ted Allbeury

it features direct, no-nonsense storytelling, and overall I like it. the heroine is easy to cheer for, trained in the lethal arts very quickly so she could get on the trail of four old Nazis who killed her Jewish husband, and doing pretty well far. I was a bit amused at her brief Toronto stopover before Amsterdam; this was a 2 or 3 page sequence and the author tried to get a Toronto right as much as necessary...but called the Maple Leafs (hockey team) the “Maple Leaves”. I was thinking later that - if that Toronto detail was wrong, he could make few other little ones any where else this woman ends up around the world, and I would not know. well, hopefully he got most of the other cities and their details right. anyway, no biggie.

this was meant to tide me over between meatier books - and my last Spy novel was the opposite of this - so The Reaper is fulfilling its purpose: quick, entertaining revenge Thriller with not much by way of adornments or deep meaning. I like it. don’t yet know how high a rating t can achieve with me.