Tigus

Maigret Defends Himself
Howard Curtis (Translator), Georges Simenon
Progress: 2/155 pages
The Dark Descent
Clive Barker, Stephen King, Shirley Jackson, Ray Bradbury, David G. Hartwell, John Collier, Joyce Carol Oates
Progress: 39/1011 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 100 out of 197 pages.

Before She Kills (Fredric Brown in the Detective Pulps, Vol. 2) - Fredric Brown

I could never really relate to you what my weekend was like, when it comes to reading, collectively speaking: The Crooked Hinge by John Dickson Carr, The Madman of Bergerac by Georges Simenon, and two short stories by Fredric Brown: 'Mad Dog!', and 'Handbook for Homicide'. but I can say: everything was creepy and crazy and fun. wild plots, oddball characters, eerie locations...it never stopped; and Dark Tides is keeping on in the same vein. I seem to know exactly how to fill out my October leading up to Halloween!

'Handbook for Homicide' - practically a novella by Fred Brown - had murders occurring at a mountain-top Observatory, with hero, heroine, and suspects having to be extra careful due to the forty or so rattlesnakes suddenly loose around the grounds (lots of high grass, so you take your chances leaving the main building...). Again, I can't tell you precisely what it was like to go from the plot of The Crooked Hinge to this Fredric Brown Mystery Thriller, but it was a blast.